Showcase your talents to the world.
Enter your email to receive a password reset link.
Among all the hobbies practiced, Snow and Ice Sports are very popular during the winters. People practicing these hobbies hit the mountains and love to spend most of the day in the snow.
Some of the sports which can be played on the ice are the popular ice hockey, figure skating, speed skating, and curling. Meanwhile, under the snow sports are the snowboarding, skiing, sledding, luge, skeleton, bobsled or bobsleigh, and ski bobbing.
Below are some of the popular Snow and Ice Sports
1. Ice Skating -is a sport of gliding on ice surface with blades at the bottoms of shoes (skates).
2. Skiing - is a sport which involves moving over snow by the use of a pair of long, flat runners called skis, attached or bound to shoes or boots.
3. Sledding - is going downhill on a small sledge, sitting or lying down, either old-fashioned wooden ones with parallel runners, or modern plastic ones, which are more like trays called as “Sleds”. Also, called as Sledging or Tobogganing.
4. Snowboarding - is a winter sport that involves descending a slope that is covered with snow while standing on a board attached to a rider’s feet, using a special boot set onto a mounted binding. The development of snowboarding was inspired by skateboarding, sledding, surfing and skiing.
Snowmobiling is sort of like riding a motorcycle on snow, and many would argue a lot more fun. Driving through a silvery forest on a beast of a machine gives a rush that gets people hooked.
6. Bandy - is a team sport played on ice, in which skaters use sticks to direct a ball into the opposing team’s goal. Based on the number of participating athletes, bandy is the world’s second most popular winter sport after ice hockey. Also, called as Banty.
7. Broomball - is a game similar to hockey. It’s played on ice, with two teams (usually six players per side including the goalie) trying to shoot into each other’s goal.
8. Curling - is a game played on ice in which two teams of four players each compete in sliding large stones toward a mark in the center of a circle. Also, called as Chess on Ice or The Roaring Game.
9. Ice Hockey - is a sport that is played by two teams on ice. They hold hockey sticks, which they use to push, shoot or pass a puck around the ice. The players score by shooting the puck into a net; the goaltenders try to stop them.
10. Yukigassen - In Japan, snowball fighting is no longer kids’ stuff, but has become a professional sport called yukigassen, where two teams of seven adults each battle it out for glory. The objective is to eliminate members of the opposing team with snowball hits. The team with the most number of remaining players at the end of the 3-minute set; or the team to first capture the opponent’s flag WINS!
11. Ice Climbing - is a lot like rock climbing, except you’re climbing a completely different surface. Snow and ice are ever-changing environments that make climbing challenging and exciting. Usually, ice climbing refers to roped and protected climbing of features such as icefalls, frozen waterfalls, and cliffs and rock slabs covered with ice refrozen from flows of water. For the purposes of climbing, ice can be broadly divided into two spheres, alpine ice and water ice.
12. Ice Speedway - Of all the speedway races, Ice Speedway is often considered as the craziest, as it requires highest levels of skills and bravery. Ice Speedway is a motorcycle racing sport in which riders use specially enhanced bikes to race on a tracks that have a frozen surface.
13. Ice Canoeing - is a sport which involves riding a canoe on an ice covered course.
14. Ice Sailing - is the sport of sailing and racing modified boats on ice. An iceboat is basically a sailboat that travels on thin blades, or runners, on the surface of the ice. Also, called as Ice Yachting or Ice Boating.
Hobbylancer and You
At Hobbylancer, share your experiences so that many people gain inspiration in this royal hobby. Share videos and pictures and contribute to the same. Post any competition or meetup information world wide Grow, learn, earn and connect at Hobbylancer and unleash the Hobbyist in you!